Monday, July 2, 2012

The Page

Blank and staring, 
daring me to fill the emptiness. 

The pen. 
Filling my blank world 
with the silky, night black, beautiful ink. 

The words. 
Sprouting like trees, 
growing into a great masterpiece. 

The poem. 
A magic spell 
to capture and hold its audience.



I was doing a major clean-up of my disaster of a room (think hurricane hit area, and you've got it), and I found a notebook with some old poems of mine. This poem, the first in the book, was kind of my gateway drug into the world of poetry. I had written it for a school district-wide poetry/illustrations contest called "Urban Voices" when I was in grade 6, and it got published. Back then, I didn't realize that this poem would open up the door and reveal my love of poetry, so I'm thankful that I managed to get the chance to write it as part of the contest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment