Thursday, December 31, 2015

An End And A Beginning

It's the last day of 2015, and it's been one hell of a year.

A lot of things have changed.
I graduated high school and started university, which means living away from home and the city I've grown up in. Learning to be independent and proactive has been an interesting process.
I made a lot of new friends, and realized that a lot of old ones weren't really friends at all. It's hard getting around the fact, but I know it's just a part of growing up.
I opened up about a lot of personal things that I've been keeping to myself for a while, and it's still an ongoing process. It's hard, these are things that I only ever really spoke about vaguely before. But I'm trying, and my friends and family have been nothing but supportive.

Creatively, clearly, I've been very slow about. This blog, which I've had since grade 8, has been updated less and less frequently as the years go on. Nowadays, it seems like I'm lucky if I post once or twice a month. I'm not even sure how many of you still go on this blog to read what sporadic things I have to say.

That being said, there's been some new exciting things going on.

As I'm writing this post, I'm finishing up North by North, writing out the finale of this all. It's a little strange to be sitting here, putting in the final words for this journey that's taken me and G over 4 years to finish. But I think it's a good time to do this.

This has also been the year that I've gotten interested in interactive fiction. From there, I've been developing a passion for game design and development of the story kind. I completed one interactive fiction story for my final project in writer's craft in May, which was an interesting run.
However, there's a brand new game that I've been developing for the past month or so, and I'm finally ready to start the coding and writing aspects of it. It's way more complex than my first story, with different endings and exploration and themes. It'll be difficult to fit it into my school schedule, but I'm determined to finish it!
If you want to take a look at my finished game, and keep updated on the new project, take a look at my Gamejolt or itch.io profile. I'd appreciate any and all gameplays and feedback!

Finally, after some deep thinking, I've decided on retiring this blog.
It'll remain up on the web, of course, I'm too attached to this blog. It contains a lot of writing I'm proud of (and not so proud of), and it goes to show the development of me as a writer from age 13-18. In a way, this has been my somewhat public diary, filled with a lot of memories and emotions.
But I think it's time to move away from these and start anew. I'm a much different writer and person now than I was back in grade 8, and I wanted something to reflect that.
I've started a new writing blog, which is currently filled with select pieces from this blog and other writings I have. But soon, I'll slowly develop it with current pieces that are reflective of me as a person and a writer, as well as information on my games.
If you care to follow my new journey, my new blog is here.

To all of you, thank you so much for your support. There are some of you on here who have been following me since the very beginning, which absolutely boggles my mind. It has been the weirdest, most fun 5 years on here that I could ever ask for, and I will always appreciate any time you take to read the rambling of a growing teenager. You've all watched me grow up through my writing and thoughts, and here I am, now an almost-not teenager.
I still have a lot of growth to do, I think this year has taught me that the most. But I'm excited for these new steps forward, and I hope to see you there with me, even if it's to just check in once in awhile.

Happy New Year, for 2016 and onwards.
I wish all of you the best. You deserve nothing less.

Sincerely,
Kienna (aka Kiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment