Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 20: Both Sides of a Relationship

(Dedicated to A, as I wish our friendship was never lost, but I suppose the end was inevitable.)


                                          She is my best friend.          She is my best friend.
    She keeps me grounded when my mind is too          She lifts me back on my feet when I feel the
                                            far up in the clouds.           world holding me down.
              Her sharp tongue keeps me on my toes           Her soothing voice coaxes me into moments
                              in lighthearted battles of wit.           of calm and gentle silences. 
   She listens sincerely and whole kindheartedly           She talks to me about things secret to everyone
                                       when nobody else will.           else around her.
                                           She is my other half.           She is my other half.

Forever is what we promised.

                                 She had to move last week           She had to stay last week
                                         and leave me behind.            and I left her behind. 
                             She doesn't live far away but            She doesn't live far away but  
           she's too far away from me and my side.           distance stretches when she's not by my side.
                                               Emails everyday?           Calls everyday?
                                                           I promise.            I promise.

Promises never truly lasted forever when we were so young
I suppose.

                                       She is my best friend,              She is my best friend,
                       though I'm not so sure anymore.             though I'm not so sure anymore.
        She's starting to change over the months,              She's starting to change over the months,
             she's not the same friend I had before.              she's not the same friend I had before. 
                       Her tongue has turned its blade,              Her comfort has turned cold,
                       her words are sharp and cut me.              her indifference chills my heart. 
    I stopped calling so I didn't have to hear her              I stopped emailing so I didn't have to see her
                                          and her accusations.             lifeless insincere words.
                                 She stopped emailing me.              She stopped calling me.
                                  Fear sinks into my heart:               Anxiety settles into my mind:
                                                    She hates me.             She hates me. 

We were left with unfinished silence 
to pick up the pieces. 

                             I wonder where she is now.               I wonder where she is now. 
              Brief emails pepper silences once in               Brief messages break stillness once in
                                                    a blue moon,              a blue moon,
            though those have seemed to stop too.             though those have seemed to stop too.
                                  She was my best friend,              She was my best friend,
                         and now she's only a stranger.             and now she's only a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment